Thursday, February 9, 2012

Confessions of a fisherman’s other half.

It’s that time again…


The Mister’s boat has been out of commission for the past few months and although I was enjoying it, I knew it would come to an end sooner than later.  And so, the time has come for overnight fishing trips to commence.  I knew it was coming; I just didn’t mentally prepare myself for it. 


I can handle day trips but when it comes to overnight trips, well that’s a different story.  I worry.  I have sleepless nights.  Sometimes I feel like calling him every hour just to see if he’s okay but I know that would annoy him.  It’s dark and while the rest of the world is sleeping, they are out there alone.  I say they because he knows I’d chop his balls off if he went alone.  I get paranoid at the fact that if anything was to go wrong, he is not in my reach.  I know I shouldn’t think that way but sometimes it gets the best of me. 

I know that the Mister knows what he’s doing.  I know he takes all the necessary precautions.  Mother Nature is who scares me.  Sometimes I wish I had a monitor so I could see him when he’s out on the ocean.  That would put me at ease, sort of. 


And other times, I wish he would get a different hobby.  Everyone wins in the end; he gives fish away to friends and family and sometimes he gets paid for it, which comes in handy.  If I could just figure out how to block these feelings, all will be well and I’d get some sleep. 

But never mind my feelings; it is what he loves to do and I need to support him.  I’ll just continue to pray for his safety.


Jenn.

1 comment:

angie on maui said...

I feel the same way when Phil is out on the water kitesurfing. People get hurt all the time and it seriously stresses me out! In that regard, I can totally understand how you would worry. And in your situation, I imagine it's even more nerve-wracking because you have children. However, with all that said, excessive worry isn't healthy! I am sure you already know this, but seriously...I am convinced it will shorten our lives if we feed into the anxiety. It's wasted energy.

Trust in your husband's instincts and preparedness (I know, easier said than done). And it doesn't hurt to throw in a little "Think about our future..." ;) I say this to Phil all the time!

And SCORE on all that yummy, fresh seafood!

xo