Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Do All Little Boys Act This Way?

Do all little boys have a streak of craziness here and there?  A streak of craziness that comes after they’ve displayed civilized behavior?  When they display this civilized behavior I feel like a great mom.  I feel like I’m doing my best and raising my sweet little boys to be civilized people.

Little Man #1 is almost completely potty trained.  We’re almost there.  He knows when he has to go, he’s goes in the toilet, and he knows to wash his hands when he’s done.  I only say he’s almost there because sometimes he gets lazy and he’ll just go where ever he’s at.  Like in the living room because he’s too busy playing or coloring.  Ugh.

Anyway, when he does make it to the bathroom he knows to leave the door open so I can hear him to make sure he’s not up to no good.  On occasion Little Man #2 will tag along to see what this potty stuff is about.  Well yesterday, I was told by Little Man #1 that he needed to go potty and I responded with “okay, go for it and make sure you wash your hands when you’re done!”  “Okay mom!”  Little Man #1 said.

Of course I was in the middle of doing something when this all went down and I didn’t realize that Little Man #2 decided to go with.  I hear the toilet flush and I wait to hear the sink faucet turn on.  I don’t hear anything but I figure he’s just moving a little slow.  I wait.  I hear splashing.  Okay, he’s washing his hands a little more vigorously than normal.  Fine.  Didn’t think much of it.  Then I hear Little Man #1 say “c’mon brother, wash your hands.  Like this.”  I hear more splashing.  Red alert, red alert: Little Man #2 can’t reach the bathroom sink.  I walk in the bathroom and it was a sight for sore eyes.  My once civilized little people were washing their hands in the toilet! 

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?” was the only words that would come out and Little Man #1 kindly responded with an angelic look on his face “we washing our hands mom!”  Ugh, for the love of goat cheese!  Are you serious?  This is totally new.  Not once did he show any sign of thinking the toilet was a place to wash his hands.  And when he does bizarre things like this, I go back to feeling like a totally mommy failure.  What am I doing wrong?  Or am I over-reacting because he’s only 3?

But now that I think about it I can’t help but laugh and I’m eagerly (total sarcasm) waiting to see what’s in store for me next.

Happy Wednesday!
jenn

No comments: